Tuesday, 26 March 2013

New Dogs and Old Tricks

Good day my fellow Agents. Although it has been a long time since my last post the game remains the same.  I find myself working for one of the newest properties of my career to date.  It is only two years old and still has that "New Hotel Smell".  Great place to be, no? Well I am learning that as with an old property that the new ones present their own unique set of challenges to all staff members including, yes you guessed it, the Agents.

Now I can hear my fellow Agents getting on their soap boxes to preach of the injustices old properties have thrust upon them in the watches of the night like flooded basements and faulty locks everywhere, but let me assure you that the new property has a few tricks up its sleeve to keep you on your toes as well.

One of the hardest things you will face in a new property is establishing policy and procedures.  The best thing about a hotel that is more than a decade old is that has gone through the growing pains and found its feet in the market.  The property will have a well established set of procedures and policies that creates consistency among staff which translates to efficiency for guest experience.  I find with this newer property the consistency among agents with regard to their approach to any complex situation becomes muddled and overly complicated.  Pair this with micro management and a lack of clear cut protocol and the result is more work than things should be.  I soldier on though, spearheading projects and training programs that are applicable to the experienced and inexperienced alike, and teach the new dog old tricks. 

The benefits of a newer property far outweigh the challenges.  We are one of the highest ranked properties on Trip Advisor in our region and we consistently score high with our QA.  I would tell you what property I work for, but I feel it would be a conflict of interest so I wont.  At the end of the day it boils down to knowing this; no matter how pretty it looks it can still harbour some ugly problems.  This is true of most things in life I think.

~Agent Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment